Thursday, June 27, 2013

Our Personal Gallery

A few of our favorite pieces of art hanging in our tiny NYC apartment.
(we have a few more, but, these are our favorites)









From top left to right: 
Most were gifts! I just realized this and how awesome and lucky we are! 
1. Print from Sayulita, Mexico from our amazing friends John and Sandra. Its one of my favorites because of the design and message. It will be with me forever. :) 
2.  We all know the Obey poster that we've seen on most street corners in major cities across the world, but, the one I have, is one of Shepard Fairey's first drafts if you will. Long story short, I got it from a friend of his down in South Carolina in 1997 and it's signed by the man himself! I had it framed and the giant will look over us always. 
3. Bill Murray. One of Scott's family friends painted this and I think its such a perfect conversation piece as it prompts many of Murray's classic movie quotes.
4. These are hand painted scrap pieces of discarded wood from an artist in Columbia, South Carolina named Ernest Lee. I always saw him selling his work on the side of the road and stopped one day to ask him about his craft and learn about his art. He called himself The Chicken Man. His classic piece is the "funky chicken" which I bought 4 of and also the palm tree for $100.00 total in '00. After doing a quick google search, you can now buy his art at this gallery store! And, you can read an article about him here, in Southern Living Magazine. FASCINATING! GO CHICKEN MAN!!
5. Our picture corner. Love You, Mean It is a letter press piece I had custom made. The Brooklyn Bridge couple is a gift. The Warhol of our Dog, Mack, was an X-Mas gift from my brother that he made and the smaller pictures are random photographs we love. 
6. The Turquoise Cow Head is near and dear to my heart as it too was a gift from Scott's parents and I'm in LOOOOOVE with it. Its beyond unique and gorgeously made. 

I love our art and hope our collection or odd and interesting pieces continues to grow and grow.
"Be what you are, don't be what you ain't. Because if you be what you ain't, then you ain't what you are." - Ernest Lee. - See more at: http://www.columbiacvb.com/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=17501&menuID=131#sthash.hZf7VUVb.dpuf
"Be what you are, don't be what you ain't. Because if you be what you ain't, then you ain't what you are." - Ernest Lee. - See more at: http://www.columbiacvb.com/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=17501&menuID=131#sthash.hZf7VUVb.dpuf

No comments: