Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wow!





Most people, in choosing a new home, look for comfort: a serene atmosphere, smooth walls and floors, a logical layout. Nonsense, says Shusaku Arakawa, a Japanese artist based in New York. He and his creative partner, poet Madeline Gins, developed a small apartment complex in the Tokyo suburb of Mitaka that is anything but comfortable and calming. "People, particularly old people, shouldn't relax and sit back to help them decline," he insists. "They should be in an environment that stimulates their senses and invigorates their lives." 

Wow! I wish I lived in a real life hamster house! The colors, the curved walls, the windows... I kinda like it. Looking at these apartments got me thinking about my first apartment as a little 19 year old living in college in South Carolina.  I lived in a small 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with 4 girls. It was above a very loud bar and the walls were thin. I loooooooooooooooooved it. I can't imagine living there now. When I hear yelling from the neighboring school kids I bang on the windows like a crazy lady on the 5th floor. (I mainly do that for my own self amusement, but I know they think that.). Where was your first apartment?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, remember that house I lived in at Tuscaloosa with 10 college buddies???? The entire house sloped to the back.

Care said...

HAH! YES! That place was a wreck. I think there were kegs in every room and cars all over the front yard. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't forget my snakes, piranah's and the alligator!

Anonymous said...

A Gingerbread House with a bamboo room and a lifesaver couch.

Care said...

Dougie, i think you need an alligator now.
Tom, that house was so sweet. it also had an awesome potato gun.